What are bed bugs?
To prevent bed bugs, you first need to know what they are. Bed bugs, bed-bugs, or bedbugs are a type of parasitic insect that feeds exclusively on blood. They prefer human blood to other sources such as animals.
How do you get bed bugs / What causes bed bugs?
It’s possible to get bed bugs almost any place – these insects have infested offices, stores, hotels, gyms and numerous other places. Bed bugs can be hiding in used furniture, or they can hide in your luggage, personal belongings, or even on you, and hitchhike a ride back to your home, condo, townhouse or apartment. You may notice bed bug symptoms or bed bug bites, but it can be extremely difficult to get rid of bed bugs without the help of an experienced bed bug exterminator.
How to prevent bed bugs
- Wash all bedding regularly and dry it at a high temperature. Heat kills bed bugs.
- Cover mattresses, pillows, and box springs with a high quality protective cover for bed bugs that resists tearing. This is both preventative and makes it easier when getting rid of bed bugs.
- Reduce clutter to eliminate additional hiding spots for bed bugs. This will make for quick bed bug inspection and make bed bug treatment simpler.
- Learn to recognize bed bug signs. Do a visual bed bug inspection from time to time.
Avoid purchasing used furniture if possible.
- If you spend time in places you suspect may have bed bugs, check your clothing, shoes, and carried belongings for bed bugs upon return, and heat them in the dryer if applicable.
- Remove all bedding and check mattress and box spring seams thoroughly.
- Examine cracks and crevices in bed frame and headboard.
- Examine bedroom furniture such as night stands, dressers, upholstered chairs, and sofas.
How do you get rid of bed bugs?
If you find evidence of bed bugs or suspect bed bug problems, you may wonder how to get rid of them. With all the products out there, what kills bed bugs? Don’t buy into the bed bug myths. Learn more by reading our guides on: